Thread: Limit SNGs
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Limit SNGs

I definately agree with what you say RE: low stakes. However, I do have problems with some of the NL $109's - sometimes it can be 7 or 8 TAGs, and once the blinds reach 50/100 it just switches to a crap shoot. Sure, you can get some equity using a good push strategy etc, but it still means a low ROI.

At the one high limit SNG I played, I felt there was actually much more oppurtunities to exploit a skill advantage against a bunch of essentially weak-tight players. I was actually short-stacked (t500) after value betting the hell out of someone and then getting rivered. I definately wouldn't have been able to fight back without some good cards. However, I did make quite a number of small pots from decent blind stealing/defense strategy, which is something that doesn't really happen at NL.

I agree with what you say about the early stages of the Limit tourney. It actually feels like the structure is slightly turned on its head. The early part is the tough bit to get through, whereas once your down to 4/5 it should actually be slightly easier. Getting delt AA at level 1 is pretty meaningless, unless your fortunate enough to get set-over-set or something. You probably need to win a decent pot or two once the blinds increase to have some chance.

However, with people quoting a "maximum" ROI for the 109's of 20%, I'm just not convinced that you couldn't achieve something similar at Limit.

Sample size of 1 is obviously too small, but unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I might try a few more.