View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: To the better $22 and $33 players...

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=4095947

Exactly where are the underlying racial tones? I really don't see it at all. If there are any, it's because you put them there. Am I going to attempt to analyze or defend others statements, (racially motivated or not)? No. My point (interpreted from Chris Rock's Never Scared) was that people who come into money (ie. the rich) squander it away and don't properly invest for or prepare for the future. When I look at that picture, drinking cristal out of the bottle, or every single person having a diamond studded watch, I get the impression this is occuring. I find this to be particularly amusing, as would I if someone continually multi tabled the 6's, cashing out profits and never moving up in buy ins. I looked for a transcript of "Never Scared", but didn't find one (to see if it was blatantly racist, or if you could reasonably take my original comment as such). Since I don't personally know them, I could very well be wrong. You obviously missed the point of his bit, as the point of most of my posts this evening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have made the same comment if every guy in the photo was white? If every guy in the photo was white, would everybody have assumed that they were drinking 40s instead of expensive champagne? When Chris Rock made his observation, wasn't he comparing the differences in financial success when he compared black against white? If not, then why didn't he compare Phil Jackson to Jerry Buss or some rich, non-black Microsoft employee to Bill Gates? It was Chris's point to be racial in his observations. It's not just about the difference between rich and wealthy, it's also a difference between class, status, and power.