View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Stupid chasing or good agressive play?

Good god the advice in this thread is bad.

You only have a draw. Not only that, but it is a pretty shitty draw. It is significantly weaker then a typical OESD. The flop raise is close but is probably okay since if you make the straight it will put a 4-STRT on board. This will obviously slow everybody down, so making this raise somewhat helps you mask your hand. Should a four hit on the turn, people might not figure you for a straight if you raise the flop.

Note that it isn't really a value raise in this spot. You are getting 4 way action, and your draw is probably worth less then 25% of the pot at this point since a lot of things can go wrong if you do make a straight (chop chop, lose to a bigger straight, etc). You are only making it to get more action should it actually come in. When the PFR makes it 3-bets on the flop, it is time to shutdown and start just calling.

On 4th street again you should just call his bet. If the flush comes in on the river, no one will figure you for it. The PFR will lead out on the river and then you can value raise the field. If the straight comes in, he might or might not bet but you hope that he does (and then you value raise of course). The best time to raise the turn on a draw is when you also have some kind of showdown value. So let's pretend that the turn was a king in this hand. Now it might be worth a raise since you will be calling a bet on the river when you miss. It might be better to raise since you want him to check to you on the river. If you make a straight you can bet, but you can check behind if you miss (and showdown your pair of kings). You can also bet your kings on the river if you want.

So I might just call on the flop (or I might raise). I always call on the turn. What you are doing is just pure spew.

Brad