View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: AK out of position, long term strategy??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It should be noted that the cards have been dry for a while thus far and AK is the first real hand, so you may be wanting to gain something from it, or should the blinds be enough at this stage?

[/ QUOTE ]

This stood out to me. I don't like getting cute with anything less than KK, and even then not too often.

As the blinds get high, picking them up with drawing hands like AK is the goal. Not only does in contribute to your stack, but it is also taking away from the smaller stacks increasing your chance of being ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important. If you have t1700 or so with blinds at 75/150 and 2 limpers to you in the SB, "just picking up the blinds" is a huge gain. Adding t525 without a showdown isn't insignificant at all.

And building on what DevinLake said, AK is not a hand to get cute with. It's a very good hand preflop, and on about a third of the flops you'll be playing fairly confidently. The other two thirds of the time you'll find it very hard to play to any resistance, especially OOP. I think it's a better plan to push and try to take the pot without a showdown.

There are arguments for limping AK from the SB, but not for the idea of trapping with it, which is the idea I got from the OP.

For what it's worth, I'm not getting cute with AA or KK either. There's too many people in the pot to just limp, in my opinion. In summary, this just isn't a situation to be thinking about trapping.

-SonnyJay