View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 PM

Default AK out of position, long term strategy??

my question concerns picking up AK out of position in either SB or BB in $20 or $30 sngs (if that matters). Problem occurs during middle stages of STT when blinds are 50/100 or 75/150 and I still have an average stack of around 1400-1700. If there have been 2 or so limpers into the pot, what is the optimal strategy:
A. Raise between 3-4x the BB (4x when BB is 100) even though you know you'll probably get at least 1 call and will be playing the flop out of position? (if you miss the flop and make a continuation bet, you may get an all in behind you, and if the odds aren't right to call, the hand could've cost you many chips)
B. Raise more than 4x the BB (essentially committing myself to the pot) and basically taking down the blinds preflop. It should be noted that the cards have been dry for a while thus far and AK is the first real hand, so you may be wanting to gain something from it, or should the blinds be enough at this stage?
C. Limp or minraise so that you can build a pot in case you hit and are able to fold w/o a great loss if you miss?