View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Negreanu now vs. 8 months ago... sad times.

I'm actually more inclined to give the guy a break than bust his chops. First off, he's relatively young. To have as much composure and class at his age is tough. Look at other players in his age group who win one medium sized tournament and can't even handle that with class.

Another thing too is that sudden fame and fortune are a brain blower. I worked in the dotcom world and saw it quite often. Yes, he might be talking more about big tips and such (I read his blog and haven't noticed him being too over the top with this kind of stuff) but that's because money has a different meaning. It's difficult to explain unless you've made that kind of money before but it completely changes your mindset. Hopefully, it's one of many phases he'll likely go through as he becomes more comfortable with his wealth and celebrity but I'm not going to ding the guy for admitting he's not broke. When he starts shouting that he can buy you ten times over in the middle of a card game I might change my opinion but he's certainly not being too bad a person at the moment. When he does brag it's usually bragging about helping others. Maybe it helps him cope with the sudden wealth by allowing him to demonstrate to others that he's not being a greedy miser.

Also, regarding his blog, in general, the guy shares a lot of his personal life there. He doesn't give you the publicist approved version. He talks about the good and the bad. It's probably just that more good has been happening for the guy than bad. What's the guy supposed to do if he's posting about what he's been up to lately? Is he supposed to leave out stuff because people might construe his behavior as self-promotion? Should he not mention signing the Wynn deal and let you read it in the press? Should he not talk about a product endorsement deal because people might think his ego has gotten too big? It's his personal blog! Go read the blogs of most other pros who post only highly sanitized versions of their thoughts. If you think Daniel is a self-promoter go read most of the other pros who only post when they have something to promote.

If half the players had his maturity and class the sport would be much better off (IMHO). :-)