Thread: Cris et al.
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2004, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa

Hi William,

Thanks for your reply, because I always wonder about this particular situation: where I had a huge advantage, but had been outdrawn and was all but dead when the time the money went in. I never know whether to look at this as a tough beat, or whether I should have known I'd been outdrawn by the texture of the board.

With this board, for example, at the turn your AA was behind to 3x, 66, 77, or 54. It's all but impossible to dodge the 66 or 77; if he's flopped a set, he's going to get a nice pot from a big pair. But both the paired board and the straight draw were visible.

I don't know that I'd have played the hand any differently. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to see that, with a paired board and a straight draw, it's hard to call an all-in reraise. In the heat of a game, though, I don't know that I'd have given him credit for that hand, or not often enough that the pot odds would not justify my calling in case he's bluffing. You were at the table, reading the player, and you'd read him for being on serious tilt, so it's hard to give him credit for a hand in those circumstances.

Anyway, I'm glad you bounced back and made up the loss. I plan to do that next week. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cris