View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Who is your hero?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a long time I had no heroes but right now I think I have two, Bill Gates and Ingrid Newkirk (the co-founder & director of PETA).

[/ QUOTE ]

The same Ingrid Newkirk who complained to Yasser Arafat about a the fact a donkey got killed in a terrorist attack which killed people as well.
Who said that the winner of the Indy 500 drinking milk was mocking cows
Who want's to get eaten when she dies
Who believes that the yearly slaughter of chickens is comprable to the
holocaust.

Good Choice

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to get into a fight about this. I agree that she has made many melodramatic and counterproductive pronouncements. However, I believe that many of these pronouncements (for example the equation of the Holocaust with factory farming) would not seem anywhere near as outrageous to you or many other reasonable people if you had as complete an understanding of the depth and extent of animal exploitation as she does. Furthermore, I have a lot of respect for the sincerity, seriousness, and longevity of her commitment in the face of persistent public scepticism & apathy & the concerted efforts of powerful business interests to discredit & ridicule her effors. Finally, I have found her uncommonly generous & gracious in her personal relationships.