View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Switching to SNG\'s, need adjustment advice

I built my original bankroll playing sng's. At the time, I was a pretty weak player, but not completely brain dead which allowed me to grind out a decent bankroll playing 5-10's. As I discovered the forums and began reading up on poker I switched to limit hold'em and played that exclusively up until now. A few weeks ago I cashed out my entire bankroll to pay my tuition.

So now I am returning to poker with a short bankroll and have decided to go back to my roots, the sng's. I started with around $100, and have played 5+.50's for the four days until I had the bankroll for 10+1's (around $250). I am doing better now in tournament play than I ever have before. Playing over 100,000 hands of limit hold'em has really improved my hand reading skills, board reading skills, numchuck skills, knowledge of pot odds, etc.

I have a couple of specific questions:

1.) What do you guys think of my 20 buy-in bankroll? I plan on sticking to the 20 buy-in rule until I get to the 30's, and then increase it to 40-50. I have read HOH 1 and 2, TPFAP, TOP, etc. I (humbly) consider myself a pretty decent hold'em player at this point so I feel like this bankroll is fine.

2.)Right now I am playing on FT, and the concensus is that the players there are stronger than average, which is a trend I have noticed myself. If I am going to play a high volume of SNG's, what sites do you guys recommend? I do not like the 800 starting stacks at party, so i was considering Pokerstars(?), hows the sng action there?

3.) other than that, I am requesting any other advice you guys can give, maybe link some helpful/insightful threads (I am new to this forum), recommend some software, endow me with some words of wisdom, etc.

Thanks,

GS