View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Got to Step 5, any words of wisdom?

honestly, I don't believe that the order would be 5-4-3-2-1 simply because of the number of players who make it to the next level. Anyone who tells you that level 4 is harder than level 1 or 2 or 3 will have a tough case to make IMO. Sure it is a higher level, but you have to think that over 80% of those people in level 4 have bought in at a lower level, so the quality of players will be similar. Anytime you can advance to the next level by beating just over half the field, your odds are greater. Level 5 is definately the hardest, followed by levels 2 and 1 respectively. Then Level 3 and finally the easiest step, level 4.

Let's face it, these step tourneys are 70% luck on the road to level 5, then it is all about avoiding the one killer bad beat. I have watched many level 5 tourneys and I can assure you that there are not too many maniacs. Everyone there has a good understanding of the game and ultimately the person who can avoid the KK vs AK loss (generally speaking) will have an optimum chance at cashing.

As for advice for the original poster. You are playing in a step 5 tourney for the first time (and most likely one of your last). This is comparable to putting your whole bankroll on the line at 10/20 hoping you can avoid the bad beat. Nobody can walk into step 5 for the first time with assurance that they will cash, because playing 1 tournament is all about short term luck. Players like Gigabet and PurpleLungs are players who can make step 5 +EV for a simple reason... they are able to compete in many many tournaments.

My advice, just go to step 5 with an open mind and try your best to get lucky, because that's about all you can hope for.

cheers