View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Wow, this might be the best question ever on this forum;-) ...

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like kinda a non-question to me. How would you feel about the Pope if he killed a hobo? There's numerous hypothetical things the Pope could do that'd make people feel such and such, he hasn't done those things though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good question because in order to answer it, you must consider:

A) the chance such "real miracles" are possible

B) the chance that a very strange conjunction of physical conditions might have taken place, resulting in an extreme freak occurrence (such as an incident of unexplained "spontaneous combustion", if such incidents exist, or something very bizarre but still within the realm of physics)

C) the chance that some very rare sort of psychokinetic powers do exist (not a "miracle"; but rather, something along the lines of enhanced ESP or telekinesis)

D) the chance that the Pope is a major charlatan capable of performing a truly outstanding magic trick

E) the chance that it was, in fact, a trick of the Devil, and the Pope is possessed

F) the chance that some other possible explanation might exist which is not outlined above

Next, assign rough probabilities to each of the above scenarios (I'll bet they don't sum to 100% ) Next, assign proportional probabilities to each of those scenarios, i.e., since the raw probabilities assigned probably won't sum to 100%, do it instead like: "the chance of possibility A is ten times that of possibility E, and the chance of possibility E is twice that of possibility D; or whatever ratios you see fit; do this for all the choices, and you will be well on your way to answering David's question.