View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Morality and Evolution

I think there was evolution in consciousness, and morals evolved with the ability to open into the awareness that is already there. Lions thinks about themselves, how to survive, so they take the appropriate measures to give themselves the best chance for survival. We do the same thing i.e. slaughtering cows to ensure our existence. The difference with us is that we can look outside of ourselves. We can look at our selves as objects and ask, how can I ensure my existence as well as everyone else's existence. This initial, idealistic idea provides the intention from which other ideas about putting the ideal in practice stem. All the ideas about what is best for everyone revolve around what is best for yourself, or how your personal freedom should be enjoyed by all. When there is freedom in mind, there is personal truth. From this personal truth stems ideas about how to show others truth. Morals get muddled because people see personal truth through the lens of their attachments to ideas. It's a communication problem basically. The personal truth is the same in two different people, but the differing attachments in people's minds deludes the clarity of the truth, which leads to different interpretations of what truth is. So as consciousness expands, as people realize their thoughts they hold to as truth are not Ultimate truth, but a manifestation of truth skewed by one's own ideas about what truth is, then the understanding of purpose becomes more directed towards present momentness. As one remains more presently, or just looks at what is in front of one's face instead of conceptualizing everything it encounters, one sees that the truth of reality is just what is, not a conceptual interpretation of it. This leads to more seeing clearly which deepens the understanding of what it is to be present or in the moment. As the ability to balance in the present moment moves from practice to natural skill, the consciousness expands to take in more which leads to a greater understanding of what is moral, what is the correct way to act, what does it mean to be present, where one can live truly and not in delusion of reality. This understanding is still conceptual, but it is a conceptual understanding from a vaster(sp?) awareness or consciousness which leads to a different approach to morale. It is a different understanding, but it is actually the same understanding, just a clearer version of it.