View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Selfish or not selfish?

Here's the deal.

Girlfriend lives in Pittsburgh, I'm in Baltimore. We're both going back to school shortly and I wanted to drive up to see her one last time before summer's over.

The problem: I live with my parents and 2 brothers (aged 14 and 17). We have 3 cars. My parents both have work during the day and my older brother has cross country practice at his high school which is about 15 mins away from our house.

I originally made plans to leave this Saturday for PA and come back early Tuesday (gf has off work Sunday through Tuesday) not knowing that my brother was starting practice this week. I learn of said practice the day I'm leaving (Saturday) which would mean that I'd have to come back home the next day (Sunday) for my brother to have the car for practice (Monday).

It would be silly of me to make the 5 hour drive to stay over with my girlfriend for a night and come back the next day, so I call her and tell her I can't make it cause of my brother, blah blah.

Immediately she is angry with me and is dumbfounded that I didn't just ask my brother to get a ride with someone on his team so I could have the car. Now, I'm the kindof guy that doesn't like people to go out of their way for me, but even so, I felt it a selfish thing to do to ask one of my brother's teammates whom I do not know to pick him up and drop him off before and after practice. He goes to a private school so none of the kids on the team live anywhere near us.