View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: An In Depth View of Tournament EV and Short Term Variance

I'm only commenting on question 2:

I definately think you can have an online read so strong as to make a -EV play +EV. Think about live poker - let's say you in the BB and Villian is on the button. It's folded to Villian who sticks in a 4xBB raise. You look over and notice that he swallowed real hard as he forcefully shoved in his chips. Villian now stares you down. In the past, you have observed all of these tells when Villian has an ace with an unsuited, weak kicker. Knowing this, you can come over the top for all your chips with a hand like JTs. Mathematically this is correct since you are a coinflip against a hand like A4o and there are plenty of chips already in the pot. WITHOUT this tell, you would have to assume that you are a sizable underdog against even a broad range of top 15% hands. Without the tell, the play is therefore -EV.

The question then becomes, can an "online" tell reveal the same information? I think so, but it may not occur as often IMHO. For example, let's say the same situation occured but it was online. However, Villian very quickly stuck in a miniraise. I have definately seen some guys quickly make small raises with trash on a steal. If the quick miniraise means that Villian can have ANY top 50% hand, coming over the top with the JTs ALSO becomes a +EV play since you are now a 50/50 shot over Villian's range.

This is just one common example that I thought of, many more probably exist. However, you still don't have the subconscious bodily movements that frequently occur in a B&M tourney.