View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: So Why is Stealing Wrong Again?

Where to draw the line?

I'd say wherever you want, keeping in mind there will be consequences you must deal with.

Imagine a scale from 0 to 100 which measures different stealing situations based on how OK it is (as an approximation we can use the percentage of people who think it's OK). Your two examples would probably be valued at 99.9 and 0.1.

You can choose whatever point you like as your threshold but then you must live with the consequences.

Maybe 20 is the level below which you will likely end up in prison if you do it with any regularity.

Maybe 50 is the level at which your actions will not be scolded too much by others, and you can get very rich (if you're also smart), but as time passes you will start getting nagging feelings of chronic discomfort, probably accompanied by physical ailments whose origin cannot be completely explained by medical science. You may also be exposed to threats (from certain groups whose average rating is much higher) that you will not be able to comprehend. In my book these are God's way of telling you you're not living your life at a high enough level in His eyes.

If you choose levels like 90 or higher, then you will probably not be very rich no matter how smart you are, but you will have good mental health, good prospects for physical health, and feel good about yourself overall -- again, the work of God.

It's an individual choice IMO and so I see no reason to look for THE level with which everyone agrees, apart from the fact that there isn't one anyway.

The Bible advocates being at a level of 100 and leaves it to you how close you want to try to get to that level.