View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 12:24 AM

Default my shy attempt at analyizing mahatma overbets.

Though I obviously haven't played any hands against him, or observed enough, but I think this could be the reason why his overbet strategy works well. This could post could also seem like a no-brainer to many, so I apologize in advance.

To start it up, he uses his expert hand reading skills to judge if you can call his massive overbet. even if he has a better hand (say he has tptk and reads opponent for tpgk or less) and could possibly squeeze in a valuebet, he chooses to overbet in these spots, when it is highy unlikely the other guy will call his bet. he scarfices his valuebets in exchange for credit to overbet good hands in future.

And obviously, he'll do this as a pure bluff or worse hands when he has the "you can't call a big bet" read, but I think he does more in the former case though, because sometimes people do make these calls with TPGK'ish hands and he is insured with his better hand when that happens. This is funny because he is basically bluffing with the best hand and gets calls time to time while he's at it.

By increasing his overbet frequency, people adjust wrongly with their calling standards. He is probably so experienced that he can tell when people are doing this, and change his gear accordingly. Now he prays that he catches his cards now that people will call him with far wider range of hands.

I got the main idea from AJo allin's post in 50/100 mahatma thread, and just put on some details on top of it.

Discuss.

p.s) I just realized overbetting is the ultimate-pot-control move lol.