View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: I forgot how to play poker.

I had an extended bad run recently and I felt alot of the things you are describing. I felt lost and like I didn't know how to play poker anymore. (and wondered if I ever did)

Ultimately I decided to do that internet challenge thing where you start out at .5/1 and everytime you win 50 BB's you move up a limit and everytime you lose 25BB's you move down. I also limited myself to two tables at a time and focused on really thinking about each and every decision and not autopiloting anything.

I found it helpful in a couple of ways. First I was able to evaluate and fix my game (which definitely had suffered) without having to worry about winning or losing.

Playing against players of different abilities also challenged me to focus more on making adjustments based on game conditions (something I had probably been too relaxed about when playing in the same games all the time).

It also helped my confidence to run over tables and dominate games full of relatively weak players.

By the time I got back to the limits I was used to playing (which didn't take long at all) I had plugged some leaks, become more flexible and had my confidence back.

It's worth a shot.