View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: atheistic morality

Mr. Sklansky,

Thanks for the response. I cant believe you were the first to respond to my 1st ever philosophy post! I am star struck! (only half joking!). You are my poker mentor (even though you dont know me). That's cool how accessible you are...wait till i tell my poker buddy at school!

Anyway, I think now it's time to relieve you of your atheism. jk! i am actually quite interested in your thoughts on atheism, evolution, etc.

i was just skimming one of your posts where you mentioned how the fact that everyone seems so sure of their beliefs inhibits your susceptibility to belief. That's interesting. Would you really be any more inclined to believe in a god if everyone was only semi/quasi sure about their beliefs?
Anyway, it's always bothered me how confident everyone always is in what they say- even many posters on this forum- although overall im definitely impressed w/ the general average quality of posters' intellect here! Ive always been the opposite- I constantly doubt my beliefs and feel almost incapable of knowing anything at all. I am Christian, and have grown up in the Lutheran church (although I disagree w/ several key doctrinal issues of the denomination), but ever since high school have questioned my faith with extreme intensity and fervor, often to the point of great agony and torment (over the destiny of my soul). One might say this is crazy, but if you have legitimate reason to believe that hell really exists, and that you could possibly suffer there eternally (sort of a Pascal's wager type thought), then even if there's just a .00001% chance that Christianity is true (I dont see how you could ever come up with such a %- i was just reading that post about the odds on God's existence; while comical, i dont see how anyone could possibly ever put a line on such a question), you'd be a fool to not believe, thereby risking eternity in hell. Anyway, Im not sure exactly how i feel about that argument at this point in my life, as i drift aimlessly through law school, while entertaining less increasingly vague notions of playing poker (or blackjack) instead!

anyway, please excuse my ramblings and musings [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As for you post, I think you are honorable (dont know if such a word has any real meaning in your world, though!) in admitting the true implications of morality in atheism. in my experience, many atheists/agnostics dodge these implications for fear of appearing to or actually condoning the behavior of the worst megalomaniacs in history. you said that you are in the minority here, though? surely most atheists cannot believe in an absolute and objective morality??

As for your first exception to your concurrence with my views, you said something to the effect of 'b/c it hurts to chop off a finger, therefore it is WRONG to cut off one's finger.' i dont believe this is really an exception. even if the atheist now truly believes (or deceptively convinces himself to believe) that it is wrong, if he is true to his philosophy, then he still doesn't believe it is really, truly, absolutely and objectively WRONG to do this deed, right? Or at least he shouldn't, in being consistent w/ an atheistic world view. but even saying he 'shouldn't' makes me uncomfortable. As i said in my original post, he can do whatever he pleases, and believe as he pleases- all these beliefs and deeds, though, are utterly pointless and w/o meaning.

Cant recall your 2nd exception! Ill go back and look later. In closing, i also remember you writing that you should check raise the river when....no, jk!... that you should do what feels good, etc., etc., but for those who are unintelligent and will not delay gratification, these people are best to believe in God. Why? Why is it good (whatever that means) for society if they do not commit crimes, kill, etc.? What is good for society? Dont know why i finished with that, just curious as to your response.

anyway, i am intrigued by the way you thinking, and am interested in further learning about some of your views, including especially evolution, God's existence, and the ressurection of Christ.

anyway, time to go back to my humble summer wage (as opposed to slaving at some damned law firm!) of 4 tabling party 2/4! or better yet go to sleep. anyway, cool to meet you (sort of)- had no idea you were a philosophy guy in addition to poker guru/sage! look forward to hearing your thoughts on the above.

peace