View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Let me be sure

I understand.

If I "have something substantive to add" and am not here simply to "curse the darkness", I have your permission to contribute ?

Sadly I am unable to light any candles since they won't let me handle matches [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] but I'll see if I can help with your math issues. (You'll have to get someone else to help you with your people skills).

If you have "X" chances and wish to know the chance that AT LEAST one will result in success you do not multiply your chance of succeeding by "X". In general, this rule applies whether or not the events are dependent, or in any other way related.

The odds against choosing a heart from a shuffled deck are 3-1 (or 1 in 4, or 25%)

If you are allowed to try twice your chances do not double (though they obviously do increase) and being allowed three attempts certainly doesn't triple your chances.

This should be easy to understand due to the next statement.

Being allowed four attempts doesn't quadruple your chances; if it did you would have a 100% chance of succeeding, and you obviously don't - regardless of whether you replace each card after you select it or set it to the side and make your subsequent attempts from a [slightly] depleted deck.

In the spirit of the season what say we overlook my sarcasm and your obnoxiousness and start from scratch. (It's a good offer since I don't see people here leaping through hoops to help you - most of them share my distaste for posters who are either lazy or abrasive, and you are clearly both).

What is your original question ?

It's sort of a good idea to respond to sub-posts directly beneath the sub-poster; when this policy is not adhered to it's often difficult to follow the bouncing ball.

Repeat what it is you'd like to have explained and I will explain it to you; many have extended me this courtesy and I am happy to do so for you.

- However, I reserve the right to dislike you if I see fit especially if your future remarks make this choice seem like a wise one. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Happy holidays,

- Chris