View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Just in Case...

The reason why saying "read the Bible" is a cop-out is that we don't care what you think Job did or what the main course was at the Last Supper. The concept of "something that happens in a story" is very familiar to us already. The things that interest us are the "why do you think that?" and the "how did you come to this conclusion?" The problem is that the answer is not based in fact, which is the only thing that we will accept. It is, instead, based in belief. You feel safe in this belief because there are a lot of people that believe in the same thing. That is OK with me (which I know doesn't mean [censored] to you, as it shouldn't), believe what you want. I do not have that luxury, my brain does not allow me to believe things beyond the extent of "this seems probable" without proof of such things. So, from this perspective, you can probably see why threads like this one exist. People like Lestat and myself need to understand such specific details to think that something is true. The attempt is not to trap as much as it is to understand your specific belief. The truth is, however, that your system is not based on fact, and therefore can not stand up to such analysis. The last sentence is not intended in a derogatory manner, I just meant that that stuff CAN'T be proven.