View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: hand from stars 500

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is probably a fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. QTs is playable in the BB with these stack sizes. You have 30BBs and can't giftwrap your BB every time the CO opens. I call with a lot less than QTs here, and call with QTs vs earlier openers. Maybe I'm too loose?

I usually check and call the turn and check-call a decent sized bet on the river. With different stack sizes I might checkraise the turn here but I don't think you can do anything but check-call here.

Given that you led the turn, I play the rest of the hand exactly like you did. I love putting players on hands I can beat and calling but I just can't put him on anything other than an overpair if he's a good player. I like betting the flop but I know many good players that check behind there.

The reason that I suck at analyzing hands is that so many lines are player specific. I have seen bad players take an AK or AQ and play it like this. I've also seen medium pairs played like this. I'm assuming that this guy is a good player because he ended up winning the tournament but if he's a little fishy I might call his river push. I'm really bad at folding.

Schaefer

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much always call preflop here with stacks that deep, but I wont rule it out as a mistake. Im thinking that maybe the best action on the turn is just check and call a bet. I think he will read my turn bet as weak a lot of the time after his flop check behind, so maybe I'm getting raised by both his strong hands and his weak hands.

The river was a nightmare for me. I felt like it was such a close decision, and my time bank was already all used up which didnt help anything. Basically what caused me to fold was his flop check. It just seemed strange that he would check behind this flop with air. It was so ragged and I think he knows he will pick it up with a bet a lot of the time, and giving me a free card with a pairless hand could be costly. I guess that logic doesnt give my turn lead much merit, but when though about his flop play in combination with what he did on the turn and river, I didnt like it too much.