View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: hitting a downswing when taking a shot at moving up

[ QUOTE ]
hooray for acting all high and mighty

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the advice in this thread has been good so far? If so, which?

[ QUOTE ]
first thing you need to realize is that its never 100% variance, 99% of players play worse when things aren't going well, bad calls, bad folds .. tilt-raises, so stop thinking you are an expert getting hit with the variance stick, and look at your game, you'll find things that aren't good, don't worry everybody does

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I realize it isn't all variance. That's why I included the back story. I was hoping to explain that I'm not some novice played 1000 hands at .5/1 party whining baby. Apparently I did a very poor job of explaining my thoughts.

[ QUOTE ]
getting to the point where the normal day to day swings doesn't bother you is a long process

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me if these are the stats of a normal day to day downswing, because if they are, I'm quitting forever:

KK: -27BB.
KJo: -15bb.
AJo: -11bb.
AQs: -11bb.
A9s: -9bb.
KTs: -9bb.
AKs: -8bb.
KQs: -7.5bb.
A9o: -5bb.
TT: -5bb.
ATo: -4bb.

Severl other hands are underperforming as well.

Look, we both know that individually these are ridiculously small amounts to worry about. The part that is bothering me is how many of these good hands are losing. Most of that list reads like a fricken premium cards starting hand char.

Maybe you still don't believe me.

My VPIP is fricken 14 w/ 8pfr. Low end of the spectrum for sure. I'm a tight a$$. But check this out: my w$wsf is 25, wtsd 32, and w$sd 43.

Now come on. With a 14vpip you know the cards that I'm playing and you sure as well know that that w$wsf and w$sd is ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
tough it out, vent a little, and be real introspective of your game

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, if someone would've said this earlier, it would've helped a lot. This is the best advice in this thread so far. By far.

[ QUOTE ]
saying that you "have no problem with the way you are playing" is a cop-out, you most certainly should be worried with the way you are playing, as you have leaks(everyone does) saying I don't need to work on my game outside of discipline coming from a 2/4 player is foolish, maybe someone who's beating 100/200 can say that, but you have fundamental leaks(again everyone does).

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of that statement was to convey that I believe my game is capable of beating 2/4 quite easily. I'm not saying I'm the best poker player ever, I'm not even saying that I'm a good poker player. I'm saying the players at 2/4 are worse than me.

[ QUOTE ]
so the key is to always be critical of your play, and spend time reading and posting

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't posted much. But I've spent more time reading than I should. I'm reading this site every day. Psychology, micro, HUSH. Usually I find the posts to be very helpful.