View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Commerce floor ruling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

By rule if at least 3 players can confirm what the player said he had he wins the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good to know. I'll never lose another hand I play, I'll just make sure to be there with friends. This rule sucks.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to table your hand first. Good luck trying to exploit it. Not to mention, try it a couple times and see how much weight your word will carry with anyone on the table or in the room.

It's a great rule because it helps the table self police itself. If it is really disputeable, call the floor and look at the camera. In the OPs instance, I doubt the camera was needed. The only thing you have to look out for are angleshooters and buds that may have other interests other than integrity of the game. Which tend to stick out quite a bit on tables. The greater majority of players will be honest when they are fighting for someone to be awarded the pot.

The assumption that everyone is shooting every angle and trying for every edge on your table is just flat out wrong.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it generally works well enough in practice. But I think that rules should be set up such that there are no loop holes to be exploited.

Imagine a scenario where you're playing a big no limit game and you lose a pot because 3 players you don't know say they saw something. Now these guys could all be friends and are just waiting for the one chance to steal that 20K pot they otherwise wouldn't have got. Once is enough is this case. And even if they were honest, the person whose pot was taken away will still have doubts and it will haunt and bug him for a long time.

I think the loser being able to see the winner's hand is such a fundamental principle in poker (and rightly so) that these rules of '3 people' or whatever deciding who has the winner is just plain bad and dangerous.