View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Preflop Raise Theory

Ok, I'm a very good SNG player. I find myself winning often. I have this theory - it's smarter to raise with 45 suited than K-10 off, it's smarter to raise 56 suited than Q-10 off, etc. The reasons behind my play with such hands is that K-10, Q-10, QJ, when raised, are far more likely to be dominated than 45, etc, and if you hit the flop with K-10 etc, it is obvious that you hit it to the opposing players. However, if you hit a flop with 45, such as 945, nobody will put you on 45 even if they know how you play. I say the bold part because if you raise preflop with AK, AA, AQ, hands like that (but not eh-eh cards like K-10, J-10) and bet out on flops like 945 people won't know if you hold the 45 or the AK. It's such a massive asset to my game and I believe this to be Gus Hansen's and Daniel Negraneu's expertise. I don't think I'm as good as them at this, but I think I am on the right track. The one downside I know of is that if the two undercards run into a high pair, they are fairly dominated (although low suited connectors are wonderful cards to hold in a must-all in situation when you run into, lets say, AA, as 56 suited is the #1 hand against AA in preflop percentages) A big part of this also is that you will steal the blinds a good deal of times. Now that my wrists are going to fall off, I'll ask for your opinions, got any?

Oh yeah, besides that - I notice people begin to think I'm a big bluffer sometimes. I then become your everyday rockish player - though i still bet big when i get a hand