View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Getting into the Act

Foxwoods Act II $210 + 15 single table. Last two standing get the buy-in to the Act III super for the WPF main event.

Blinds are 150/300/a50, 3 left.

BB - 3700
SB (Me) - 1700
Button - 4600

BB has impressed me as a solid, thinking player throughout the tournament. From early on, I considered him the biggest threat at the table. Button seemed weak-tight for most of the night, but his aggression picked up noticeable when we got to 4 handed.

I get 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Button makes it 600 to go, I fold, BB calls. (1425)

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB ckeck, button bets 800, BB calls. (3025)

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Button bets 800, BB calls. (4625)

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Button mulls it over for a while, then pushed all-in. BB thinks for about 30 seconds and calls.

BB shows 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the turned flush.
Button shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the rivered full house.
My short-stacked a$$ is grateful for the gift entry into the Act III [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Now immediately after the hand the BB begins berating himself for his slowplay. He and I talk a while later and he is still beating himself up over the play. I tell him I don't think he should. I tell him I can't see how he thinks the button is drawing live enough going to the river to scare him, and if BB checks the river, the button will move at the pot with a big range of hands. I'm sure the butrton would've played a set differntly, and no way anybody can see *that* 2 pair on the turn.

Comments? Was the BB right to beat up on himself, or is his self-loathing results-oriented thinking?