View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: i open limped on the button

Hi Josh,

Sklansky talks about almost this exact situation in Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players in the short-handed section titled "When the Blinds are Very Loose" p197.

He argues that you should open limp from the button with hands like 22,33,76s,A6o when the blinds are very loose and highly likely to defend against your raise.

He says you run into trouble with a hand like A6o if you raise and both blinds call. That the hand is not worth much if it misses the flop and that because of this you don't want to invest so much money before the flop when you know you have little chance in stealing the blinds.

He says another reason to open limp on the button with hands like 22,33,76s,A6o is something that you already mentioned. That you are more likely to steal the pot if they both check to you on the flop... and that you should always bet if they both check.

He says if you think you will steal the blinds preflop as much as 30% of the time, then you should raise... but if not he says that raising will usually hurt you.

Peace