View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Some stuff I bought last week

[ QUOTE ]

Just curious, desert, how much value do you put into standard and poor and other such reports. they have a chart showing how the correlation between how many stars they rate a stock and how well it does, and they seem to do a damn good job.

i wrote none of this, and i barely understand it. i guess i am gambling sort of by investing here, but these guys are pretty well documents as winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valueline does the same type of ratings, and claim that highly rated companies outperform lower rated ones over time. I'm skeptical about the utility of their "outperformance", esp. since the fund that uses their rankings has been getting pwnd over the last ten years. And in your case, you aren't buying all of the "highly rated" companies, just ones you find interesting. So you might get the dogs of the bunch, or the stars, or a representative sample, I think it's just luck that will determine that.

I prefer to take another route. If someone rates a stock very highly, I use that as a starting point for research. I only buy it if it meets my value criteria. You are probably making so much money from high stakes NL that spending significant time on stock research might be -EV for you today. But you should definitely consider having a goal of minimizing your portfolio risk. Since your day job has so much volatility associated with it, why double up with your porfolio?