View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: quick poll -- 88 UTG+1

[ QUOTE ]
You've got four live people behind you, you are a significant underdog versus most player's UTG PFR range

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have Pokerstove on this computer, but I'd be interested to see what the hot/cold is for 88 vs top 5, 10, 15 and 20 percent of hands. At .5/1, few of the players are positionally aware, so if they are a 50/20 player, I think ~20 PFR from UTG isn't all that far off. However, saying that, .5/1 is also known to be a very passive game so a PFR might deserve more respect for that point.

[ QUOTE ]
You do have position on the PFR and that is a saving grace.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I think this is quite important. It also allows us to face the field with 3-cold.

[ QUOTE ]
* Bad implied odds: This is the classic problem of overcards versus a pocket pair. The overcards can frequently get away on the turn when they are losing. 88 on the other hand usually finds itself trapped into paying off. You lose bigger pots than you win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Players at this level will make incorrect calls with two overcards on the turn ALL THE TIME. Heck, they do it at 5/10 with huge regularity IMO. Again due to the passive nature of this game, we can usually get away from it when raised on a board we do not like.

[ QUOTE ]
** No significant fold equity: Villain will make an incorrect fold versus 88 roughly never.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then bet for value.