Thread: Poorly Played?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Poorly Played?

Preflop, I don't consider three betting to be that much better than coldcalling. I would often 3 bet but I would also often just coldcall. The thing here is that given the initial raiser's position and current disposition, this hand is not going to be over with early. Neither of you should fold on the flop regradless of whether you 3 bet or coldcall preflop. The two of you will generally see at least the turn card, if not the river.

One of the great values of 3 betting preflop is to allow you to steal on the flop or on the turn. Here, that value is somewhat negated by the situation i.e. you know he is on tilt and therefore, you will not fold on the flop. As for him, he is on tilt and might even know that you know that he is on tilt and therefore he too will not fold on the flop.

Put in an extra bet on the flop if you want. 3 bets preflop and 1 bet on the flop is the same as 2 bets preflop and 2 bets on the flop. In certain circumstances, you will be in better position on the turn having 3 bet preflop. In other circumstances (like this one), you are better off on the turn by showing aggression on the flop rather than preflop.

There is value in 3 betting preflop iin order to get it heads-up i.e., knock out the bb. But you will be out of position against a tilter who is probably going to play the flop hard - whether or not it helped him- and it's pretty easy for you to throw in the towel with Jack high. But if you checkraise the flop when it comes down, say Q54 or something, his level of concern will be greater than what it would have been had you 3 bet preflop (part of this is because he will assume that your 3 bet represents an Ace high unpaired hand a vast majority of the time).

Sorry for the rambling post. Too lazy to reorganize it.