Thread: Poorly Played?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 04:05 PM

Default Poorly Played?

I'm not sure why, but I've been playing some of the worst poker I've played in quite a while. To make matters worse, it's also the longest such period. 3 straight sessions without an "A" game showing up. So take that into consideration here...

A very skilled player (who's only discernable weakness IMO is a propensity to tilt), raised from the cutoff (I believed on tilt). Folded to me in the sb holding Jd,Td. Like I said.. I've been running a little bad and a "B" game is all I've been able to muster these last 3 days. I couldn't bring myself to make it 3 bets out of position. Even though I thought him to be on tilt, this cutoff is skilled... Had position... And is capable of outplaying me on my best day. On the one hand, I didn't want the confrontation. However, I thought my hand too good to fold given the wide mix of hands he might be playing. The bb was not too strong of a player, so I didn't feel the need to get him out. As a matter of fact, I thought it might be better to leave him in there with the type of hand I had. I just called. The bb folded. Heads-up.

The flop came Kc,Qd,8s. I checked, he bet, I (check)/raised, he called.

The turn was an 8d pairing the board, but also giving me a flush draw to go with my up and down str8 draw. I bet, he raised, and I called.

The river was a 4d. I bet, he raised, I called and my flush beat out his A8 for trip eights.

Later that evening, he mentioned he couldn't believe I bet the turn. ??? I know I haven't been able to rise above my "B" game lately, but I need a little re-affirmation here. Would any 20-40 player on this forum NOT consider a follow-through bet on the turn automatic given the action (and description) I provide? It gets tough to think clearly in the midst of a 3 day funk, but I thought this hand (at least post-flop) was somewhat routine. If not, maybe I've found a problem. Thanks in advance.