View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: LO8 preflop pot equity ram \'n jam advantage?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since most O8 starting hands run so close in value, I'd venture a tentative no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful. In heads-up, go-to-showdown simulations this is true, but in multiway pots there are a number of hands, including A2s-xx, which win far more than their fair share, and especially so when opponents play poorly.

If the table is wild preflop and you can get bad players into the pot with weak hands, jam the preflop every time with your good hands. The raises are profitable. You're going to be folding the flop or drawing to the nuts, while they are always drawing to non-nut hands.

The big difference from LHE revolves around second-best hands. They tend to turn into second-best draws much more often in O/8 (i.e. A3s vs. A2), which makes raising less correct. You may have some equity advantage multiway, but in these situations raising fits Ray Zee's variance advice much more closely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I have Ray's book in front of me it seems the quote I was looking for is:

"When you start jamming early, you add only a little bit to your edge, unless some terrible players are in the pot."

So it seems you are correct sir. I withdraw my earlier statements, but still emphasize that I, as a O8 novice, am careful not to start jamming without a very good hand, but I'm sure that as I gain some more experience under my belt I'll start getting a better feel for which hands you can jam it up.