View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Couple of hands on chip accumulation vs stack preservation

[ QUOTE ]
The line advocated above of betting 15K on the flop and then being done on a call or raise is what I would have done on a flop of one overcard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about the whole hand:

Aggressive big stack (you) raises UTG --> implies he has a reasonable to good hand, given his position.

2nd stack UTG+1 calls big stack, putting himself into position to get knocked out of tourney --> implies pretty good hand

Flop comes and big stack makes a continuation bet --> implies nothing special, but putting 2nd stack to the test

2nd stack then has 2 options (other than conceding the pot): 1) raise, thereby committing himself and passing the test the big stack just put to him, or
2) calling, making a murky situation even murkier for the big stack

In either of these cases, I think it is a mistake for the big stack to commit more chips to this pot. If the 2nd stack jams with 99 and forces a lay down, so be it. That's the price you pay for the option of getting away from a losing situation. You still have a good stack and a great chance to go deep into the money.

The problem with going for the check-raise is twofold: 1) It gets you committed to the pot when you have the worst hand, and 2) you take an (unneccesary) chance of giving overcards a free turn card. Thisis balanced against the (small) chance that the 2nd stack will lay down a better hand. Not worth it in my judgement.

Overall, I still don't think your position is as clear as you seem to be making it out to be.

-Oz-