View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Belief in God is -EV

I was more interested in other aspects of what would need to be considered that I had discussed in the original post, but this is indeed one small part of it i agree.

Even so, i think that there are flaws in your agrument.

(this is only applicable when considering a specific religion so Christianity will be considered for instance)

most people i think would not agree that value of time alive is +infinity especially when comparing that with the +infinity or -infinity of an eternity in heaven or hell.

also i would think that time spent at worship is probably more applicable when odds of a specific god existing are given then you're 1/15x is applied which i believe would only harm the odds for believing and practicing a specific religion. This is only true though if you consider value of life on earth as zero or x and not +infinite. otherwise it would be possible for it to negatively affect the odds against believing.

I would put the value at 0 or x (rather than +infinity), not quite sure which one, but is essentially inconsequential as you showed

this does have an impact on the odds but i think much less because of these reasons and certainly cannot purely give you a certain decision as i believe you meant by..

[ QUOTE ]
With what I believe are the correct assumptions, belief in god has -EV if there is even the remotest of possibilities that god does not exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still curious as to the reason why i can't get around (or if u can get around) (or if you have to get around) what i said i had trouble with in the original post, but thank you for all of your input