View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Aggression in Pot-Limit Omaha

Okay, here is the deal. We have been told by every poker player in every poker book since the beginning of time to play tight and aggressive. I am starting to doubt this in pot-limit omaha...why you ask? Let's use the example of a middle set. The flop comes A K 7 with two hearts, you hold two kings but no flush draw and no chance at a straight. Now What? Nobody raised preflop so you have to assume nobody has aces and you have the best hand right now, so you bet the pot (remember aggression), and of course you get two callers. The turn is a blank, the 3 of clubs which helped nobody. Again you bet and here is where everything goes ary, the first player doesn't have the pot odds to call but ALWAYS does, and now the other guy can't fold, he's getting three to one on his money. Now the river is one of those scare cards, the A of hearts. At first it seems good for you, you caught your boat, but what about aces full? Now what? Anything less than a pot size bet looks weak, but you've made the pot so big that it cost you a bunch of money to bet out with the 5th best hand and hope nobody calls or you can check and hope it goes check check behind you. I usually opt to check, then one of my opponents pulls the trigger on that pot sized bet. Now a million things run through my mind, I have all this money in the pot, Did he just catch a nut flush? Why the hell would someone call all that money with just two pair after the turn?...All these questions make me want to call which I can't do because I built the pot up so big that putting in all that money with the fifth best hand seems ridiculous to me. I have typed all this to ask this question, in this game is there a time to ignore "conventional" wisdom and slowplay so that on the river you're able to make the call?