View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Heads Up Strategy Question

[ QUOTE ]
i find it interesting however that you follow his preflop strategy to a tee by never 3betting out of the BB preflop. ive never heard of anyone implimenting this strategy before. you do this against passive opponents as well? (also, im well aware that players at these high stakes levels are not going to be passive opponents, but that doesnt mean they will overplay their hands against you postflop.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have been more specific in my original post. Against exploitable opponents, I will employ an exploitative strategy. If some overaggro player autoraises two overcards on the flop but is more respectful of a checkraise, I will bet-3bet a set. If an opponent is likely to give no respect to my 3-bet and play back at me hard, I will 3-bet my strong hands pre flop. However, if I am against a player who is pretty tough and who I am likely to play against in the future, I resort to the "dreamclown strategy".

[ QUOTE ]
jeff, by following dreamclown's preflop strategy to a tee does this mean that you often go many bets with weaker pairs postflop? do you think this is a vital aspect of playing this strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is critical to play your marginal pairs, bluffs and semi-bluffs fast with this strategy to take advantage of the added EV that comes from having a lot of strong hands in your range when you checkraise the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
also, when youre playing against new opponents heads up that have never seen you play before, and you pick up AA/KK/QQ/JJ early in the match, you arent smoothcalling preflop are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, this depends on whether an unknown is really an unknown.

If I am playing on Party, I assume an unknown is a bad player because I have played with all the regulars and I'd be more likely to 3-bet my strong hands pre flop(including more than just AA-JJ) and then change gears(or leave the table) if I determine that they are a tough player against whom an information reduction strategy is warranted.

If I am playing on a site where I'm not a regular, I'd default to the information reduction strategy, although I think your point about 3-betting your super premiums early in a match might be worthwhile and I'll consider it further.