View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Question about Cano\'s baserunning

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the relevant rule:

The runner is out if "In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line and, in the umpire's judgment, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, or attempting to field a batted ball; The lines marking the three foot lane are a part of that 'lane' but the interpretation to be made is that a runner is required to have both feet within the three foot 'lane' or on the lines marking the 'lane'."

[emphasis added]

I'd have to see it again, but I thought Cano had his left foot on the line (that is, touching it, with his toes only to the left), not to the left of it, the whole way. He jumped to the left, into fair territory, only to touch the base. As the lane ends at the base, he cannot be considered outside the lane as he touches the base. And in any event, it's not clear to me that Cano was responsible for Erstad not catching the ball. I think Erstad just never saw the throw because of Cano.

I think I might reverse my judgment; I think the umpire might have gotten this one wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the replay vividly, Cano's entire left foot was to the left (inside) the foul like the whole way down the line.

It was a good call and you are not going to convince anyone otherwise.