View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: I dislike AQ example 2

It's too bad the flop sucks, because the hand got off to a pretty good start. (You gotta love it when someone raises preflop and then folds to your 3-bet.)

Anyway, I would call the flop. I suspect BB has a pocket pair. And I hope MP3 isn't stepping on some of my outs with a flush draw. But, chances are, he just has overcards too.

It's entirely possible I'd peel again on the turn. If MP3 folds to a turn lead, then maybe the showdown raise W. Deranged recommends is a good idea. I have trouble figuring out when to use those. If BB bets the turn, though, I doubt he has anything he's going to fold to a raise, so the main advantage of a turn raise that I see here occurs when BB only has a draw and will give up and not fire as a pure bluff on the river if he misses. Also, though, if Villain will get scared on the big broadway cards that improve you and check-call the river, then a raise does allow you to get three bets in on the big streets when you end up with the best hand while only paying two when you don't improve (well, so long as you were planning to call down anyway and also so long as Villain cooperates after you raise and doesn't stop-n-go on a river blank or 3-bet his TT on the turn).

So . . . I'm rambling. Someday I'll get the hang of these free-showdown raises.

Calling down is another option, but I'd be more inclined to do it against a more aggressive opponent. Calling the turn and check-folding the river unimproved is something else to consider, and against this BB, there's a good chance that's what I'd do.

If BB leads a blank turn and MP3 calls, then I'm probably calling in a pot of this size, planning to check-fold the river unimproved. If the turn is another club and the action goes bet, call, then I'm probably just giving up and folding.