View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 09:20 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: did I overplay this?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: I raise here. It would be very difficult to not have the plurality of the PE here (more then anyone else). With the plurality of the PE and position I want to punish anyone who is drawing. Yes they probably are going to call anyway but you will make money every time they call w/o odds and you will lose money every time they call with odds. Raise to hurt their odds. It will build the pot for others to draw at on later streets and it will force you to make more crying calls but I still think that it is worth it.

Turn: I play the same way

River: This is actually a bad card for you. It makes a low which is likely to be out there and it takes away your nuts for the high. I would flat call. Here is my small EV calc (I know I am obsessed with these things but they put the hand into perspective for me).

Call and lose: -1BB
Call and win: +.5BB
Raise and lose: -3BB
Raise and win: 1BB

Let x be the probably of you losing then
-3x + 1(1 – x) = -1x + ½(1 - x)
x = .2

With my slightly faulty assumptions if you take ½ the pot more then 4:5 the raise will be a better play. Less then that a call will be a better play.

This calc is a little harsh to the raise (you will scoop occasionally, you will sometimes get raised and win, sometimes you opponent will be a total donk and not re-raise when you are beat ...) but I think that it puts the raise into perspective. You are going to have to win ½ the pot very frequently for the raise to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I think you underestimate how poorly a lot of these players are, especially at 0.50/1. They may re-raise you with the lower flush and there may be multiple low hands re-raising as well.

Against a tougher table, I'd play it different. But against these fish, I believe my 2nd nut high on the river is best the majority of the time, given that flop.