Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Euthanasia

I am writing a response paper to a young gir's essay on why euthanasia should be legalized. She had some interesting points:

"it is better we put them to rest so they can go on and never suffer anymore"
"would we want to pay for someone who has no hope of recovering?"
"Would Got want us to live our life miserably and suffer day after day?"
"If someone is suffering they should have the choice to die if they wish."
'Suicide is defined as the deliberate taking of one's life, whereas euthanasia means painlessly puting someone to death iin cases of terminal illnesses or comas."

Do those of you who believe that all forms (or if only for specific cases please state what they are) of euthanasia should be legalized, to these points ring true with you? If so, I have some questions I'd like to clarify.

Is there really a difference (besides the wording) of assisted suicide and suicide? Both are meant to end a person's life, and in both instances the person wants to die. Why are we sugarcoating it?
Does God not want us to suffer ever, or only if we have terminal illnesses? If never, then why cant a man just ask a doctor to give him an OD of a certain drug cause he is depressed?
Are we sure that we are ending a person's sufffering? Was Shiavo suffering? IMO she was a vegetable, not capable of feeling at all. IIRC, the husband stood to benefit from her death. Was he not engaged to another woman at the time of the decision?

Thanks in advance. I tried searching for these topics discussed during the Schiavo case, but the internet is hard.