View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Ace in the hole

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this what I said? I said Iraq isn't Vietnam, you responded by pointing out an article by a guy who says the same thing yet claim he thinks differently. I'm aware that the U.S. could make similar mistakes, but that does not mean the two wars are equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can tell, the sequence of events was this

1) You said that "Dean is an idiot if he thinks Iraq resembles Vietnam in any meaningful way."

2) Cyrus pointed out that Melvin Laird disagrees with you.

3) Ignoring the whole point of the article, which was to explore in what ways Iraq does and does not meaningfully resemble Vietnam, you lifted one quote from the first page to support the untenable position that the article was simply implying no meaningful resemblance.

4) Cyrus pointed out that obviously no war will be exactly like another and therefore, on some level, it will always be difficult to say X is another Y.

5) You then responded by changing your original point, asserting to have said Iraq is not another Vietnam when you actually said that it bore no meaningufl resemblance. Then you repeated your misreading of the article. Then you attacked Cyrus personally.

Or do I have it wrong?