View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: PFR and middle pair

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not giving villian credit for anything yet either but I think if he RAISES my turn bet I can start to discount my outs considerably.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like that word. In order for your outs to be considerably dirty, one of the following must have happened.

1) Villain did not 3-bet AA preflop.
2) Villain did not 3-bet KK preflop.
3) Villain did not 3-bet QQ preflop.
4) Villain did not 3-bet AK preflop.
5) Villain did not 3-bet KQ preflop.

Now one of these might have happened (KQ is the most likely candidate), but I think this is somewhat rare given that villain only needed to call a single bet preflop since he posted; so his hand range is going to be much broader than if he had cold-called. Of the remaining hands that villain might have, 55 is the only one where hero is in trouble.

There are times when villain raises a flush draw, but when that happens, hero is an 80-20 favorite unless villain has Kx[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I think it's more reasonable that villain has a lesser top pair hand (KJ-K9) and believes top pair is good (which it is). This is more likely to be true since hero's line seems unnatural for TPTK. Since you have no read on villain, you have no clue what he's doing or thinking, and this mess is quite a bit more jumbled.

In cases like this, I'm more inclined to err towards being a little too loose than a little too tight. The donk factor tends to be large enough against an unknown to justify it.