View Single Post
Old 07-13-2003, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Playing online for a living week 11

David, not to say I told you so but...

I recently checked out Paradise again after a 6-month hiatus, playing last week (checked you out a bit in the 5-10 games). I won a little playing 2-4 he, a little more playing 2-4 stud (my better game). And after six days of playing a few hours daily, and being up 3bb/hour, I was disgusted with myself for wasting the time.

I don't think this can be a healthy thing for you, either, long term -- even though it sounds like you can squeeze out a living at it. I say this not because I know you, but because I know the game. For anyone with other options, I think it's best left as a (hopefully profitable) hobby.

There are one or two other posters here who have made the transition to playing for a living. They're not nearly as honest or articulate as you. Nor does it sound like they have as much else in their lives as you. Without naming names, I'll just say that their posts don't sound very happy after a few months of playing for a living.

If you're a Jack Straus, Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brunson, Howard Lederer, Jennifer Harmon or the like -- a big gambler with the smarts for poker -- that's a different animal. For an intelligent normal person who can beat limit games, I think there are generally better lines of work.

Don't know if you've read Roy Cooke at all. He played mid limits for a living for many years and now plays part time while selling real estate. He loved the life as much as anyone, probably, and was about as good as anyone, probably. But he still couldn't make it without adding his business and his writing.

Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing your experiences. You certainly bring an unusual amount of perspective to the table.