View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Dating someone bi-polar

It's highly unfortunate that many of you believe people can be captured by a psychodiagnostic label. Really, these sweeping generalizations about people with 'bipolar disorder,' are inaccurate, unfair and perpetuate unnecessary stereotypes.

Many people with bipolar disease are very productive, effective and highly likeable. I have bipolar disease (and Aspergar's with OCD) and work full-time, am not sexually promiscuous, do not use illegal drugs, am not highly impulsive nor psychotic.

Also, I want to explain something to you about the medications typically used to treat bipolar (and other serious brain diseases). A lack of insight is not always the cause of medication non-compliance. Often times the drugs themselves have extremely unpleasant and dangerous side effects. Many often cause irreversible, permanent neurological damage resembling Parkinson's (TD or Tardive Dyskinesia). A sample of undesired side effects (depending on the class of medication) may be blurred vision, nausea, extreme anxiety and agitation, tremors, GI upset, sweating, restless leg syndrome, twitches, involuntary movements, etc. There is often a serious cost-benefit analysis and it's not always irrational to resist being medicated (especially if you have a hypersensitivity to certain drugs such as an affinity for extrapyramidal reactions).

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you FEEL rich."