View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: I\'m never purchasing something with a mail-in rebate again.

A friend of mine goes for those rebates all the time, but he's a lawyer so he's a naturally argumentative prick. He really digs the hassles he has to go through. He sent in probably dozens of rebates on computer stuff, and has had them try to pull all manner of crap on him. But he's relentless, and is willing to go through tons of e-mail, snail mail, and even phone calls to get his way. That he is a lawyer and can have a little edge of threat to his inquiries doesn't hurt a bit, but usually it doesn't have to come to that; merely sounding like you know what you are talking about and aren't preparing to take any crap usually does the job.

But not right away.

I think the whole thing is not worth it and just stay away from mail-in rebates. I don't want to wait three months and get a rebate after sending three letters and making two phone calls. It's a kind of a game as often as not, and not one I'm interested in playing. I'd rather just get a product from a vendor who really wants to give me a good price, than get a fake good price by way of a mail-in rebate. Hell, if I have to go through that crap, I'd rather not get the product at all.