Thread: PLO8 Hand 2
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: PLO8 Hand 2

In general I agree with Ribbo but I think there is a little more to it.

If you are out of position raising a lot with A2, AA, A3 hands and your opponent is calling you, and you are continuation betting a lot of the time, then you are giving your opponent great implied odds.

It doesn’t help you much if your hand is a 55/45 favorite over your opponent if your opponent will be folding much of the time on the 55% flops and reraising much of the time on his 45% flops.

The fact that you might have AA2 is offset by the fact that most of the time you won’t have that as it’s only dealt <1% of the time and you are raising ~10% or whatever.

Just like in holdem if a tight early position raiser with AA comes in strong I’ll call with 22. I either hit my set or fold. Ribbo would say then play other hands so people don’t know you have AA. But, that is essentially advocating a semi-loose, aggressive style which is a winning style and probably the highest EV style, but it requires good judgment and postflop skills which not everyone has, which is probably the main reason it is not correct for all to play that style.

And players could very well beat a higher limit game for a higher overall earn rate than a lower limit game thus making it correct for them to play in that game, but still be willing to give up a small amount of EV to avoid higher variance if they for example are prone to tilt, or have continuing $ withdrawal requirements.

-greg