View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Question for Catholics

[ QUOTE ]
How can someone say that this is my religion, but I don't agree with its principles and values and beliefs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I also grew up Catholic and attended 12 years of Catholic school. I am not a believer in any religion today. My parents are still churchgoing folks but my mother is quite dismayed about the Vatican's views on the role of women and gays. If she were to read your post I believe she would answer that she very much enjoys the rituals involved in being Catholic, ie. mass, baptism, weddings, funerals, and uses those times to reflect on her life and faith in God. The fact that she disagrees with the church hierarchy on social matters does not compel her to give up on the positive side effects she gets from attending mass and being in a community of believers. She also attended Catholic college during Vietnam and Vatican I, and is very much a believer that instead of leaving the church, you agitate from within. To that end, she is a part of a group of women who are working towards the goal of having women priests.

I think many people belong to groups but don't agree with their principles 100%. But these disagreements are not so bad to overwhelm the benefits of membership.

KJS