View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Playing Poker on a 30\" Monitor

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Josh,

I did a little searching on Newegg.com and found video cards that support 2560x1600 resolution starting at $95.00. Of course they up quite a bit higher than that, but there are several options under $200. Here is the NEWEGG link for the page I found. These are PCI Express X16 cards. There are 14 choices. You should be able to get an idea for here.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of the cheap ones have Dual DVI which you need to run this monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do **NOT** need dual DVI to run this monitor. The monitor has dual DVI so you can plug in multiple sources, and switch between them.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you sure? from what i read it seemed like the most that a single DVI can support is 1920x1200 and that's only due to some crafy engineering by dell. i have no idea what any of this stuff means. that's just what i think i saw.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be a spot of confusion here with Dual DVI (two single-link DVI connectors - a lot of VGA cards have this), and Dual-link DVI, required to do a resolution of 2560x1600.

Take a look at wikipedia on DVI here.

Also on this wikipedia page, the awesome IBM 3820x2400 quad-dvi flat panel [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Only 22 inch, so probably a bit much for multi-tabling. Also quite expensive.

There are not too many VGA cards supporting Dual-Link DVI right now, the ones I know of are the Nvidia 78xx series PCIe cards, and the top end Matrox cards. I think the new ATi 1xxx series PCIe cards do also, but I've not seen one of those yet.

Whilst having Dual DVI ports, the Nvidia 7800GT/GTX only have one port that is capable of dual-link, therefore to run a pair of these new 30" Dells you will need two expensive VGA cards and an SLI motherboard to fit them.

dave.