View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: 20/40 -- picking on bigger fish for a few orbits

[ QUOTE ]
Wow - if these hands demonstrate correct play at the higher stakes, I'm clearly very far away from moving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't, that's why I posted them.

Like I said, this isn't a CinnamonWind "look how awesome these seemingly-retarded plays are" thread. These were big hands I felt I misplayed in a variety of ways. There were other hands in the session that I played much better, but there would be very little value in posting them.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(FWIW, I think the worst street of the three hands is the J7o preflop -- I think the rest is sub-optimal but not exactly "retarded.")

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the aggression at these levels, I would consider your plays far from retarded.

How did the stab go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Up $171, then I sat back down to get better position on the main fish and finished down $5 overall.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (5.50 SB) 3, 6, 4 (2 players)
Hero bets, Main Fish raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, Main Fish bets, Hero raises, Main Fish calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also, FWIW, these people didn't seem like they were overdefending blinds/buttons, they were just putting in a lot of bets with bad hands (from middle pair to absolute nothing) postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The irony is almost unthinkable.

When in Rome I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he coldcalls my raise preflop, I put his hand range at 44-88, any two broadway, and 98s+. Someone else who was watching this game can feel free to dispute this hand range, but assuming my judgement is somewhat accurate, I don't think postflop is so bad here.

I need to think about this hand a bit more -- originally I wrote up a paragraph on why donkbetting turn is inferior to c/r or 3-betting the flop but I need to think about it a bit more, specifically how likely it is that he'd check behind on the turn with overs. I don't think it's very likely, but it may be likely enough to make a c/r a bad idea. At the time, I felt very confident that it wouldn't get checked through, but then again I suppose we always feel that way.

[ QUOTE ]
With the QQ, there's not much that she could be betting on the flop w/o a K, as it is a relatively drawless board. I think you should 3-bet this flop, and then decide whether or not you want to call her down. The preflop re-raise would typically indicate AK, KQ or any PP for isolation. You would be WA/WB against the typically raising range in that spot, so take that line. I really don't understand your turn bet on the QQ hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

His preflop reraise would indicate something like 77+ and any two big offsuit broadway, any two suited broadway. I agree that I should have 3-bet flop and fold to a cap.

If I 3-bet flop and get called, do I lead this turn? If called on the turn, do I bet, check-call or check-fold river?

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] blindstealing, but I don't think I'd open K4s from the HJ. Postflop I don't get the turn checkraise because fish don't fold a 6 or a straight or a flush draw here, so If you think your 4 is good, I don't think you're protecting it or making him fold something better. I think betting out on the turn represents the straight better, and you can fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm not saying c/ring is the best line, I wouldn't have even considered folding to a turn raise if I'd donkbet this turn (I'd probably have gone into call-down mode). He'd raise this turn with AK-AJ and KQ. If an A or Q came on the river, I could consider folding.

Seems like people think the third hand was played well post-flop. For hands 1 and 2, what line do people think is optimal? 3-betting the flop in both or donk-betting the turn in hand 1 and check-calling down in hand 2?