View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: When is the nuts not the nuts?

Your experiences and perceptions are much different that I have seen in the Party PLO and PLO/8 games I've played.

To each his or her own I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
If that was the situation, then the hand would not have played itself out this way on the turn. When a player bets, he gives information about his hand. When UTG bets the pot in a very small pot that says one of two things. Either he is a nut case, or he actually has a very strong hand. A set with a straight up on the board is not a strong hand 4 handed in an unraised pot. There is very little value in betting the hand, and a lot more value in checking the hand and calling any bets from the button. Betting will stop anyone with a worse hand from putting money into the pot, whereas checking can certainly get a bluffer to share the love. But as stated before, if i'm on the button with the straight and I believe my opponent not only has a set, but is willing to shove all his chips in with it, then I can just as easily call the turn, as he will still be just as eager on the river to do the same. I want the guy to believe his set is good, a raise is usually enough on the turn to tell them otherwise. By just calling the turn I can look like the one on the draw and usually induce a nice pot bet from the other guy on the river

[/ QUOTE ]