View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 06:21 AM

Default Re: what i learned today by elysium

rather than hang around on the turn to see what happened, i got up to get a soda. as i was waiting for the waitress to serve me, it dawned on me that i made a terrible fold. the reason the fold was so terrible was initially the very reason i folded. the aggressive raising and reraising would have continued on the turn. had i spiked the 2 outer, my hand would have been totally concealed and the implied odds would have worked out to 23-1 to 25-1 and more! i was getting better implied odds than if it were only one small bet to me and i called. why? because if it were only one small bet to me, the future action would have been in doubt. they may have folded on the turn or check-called etc. what does this mean?

Hi elysium,

You can't assume your implied odds are that strong. If you spike a jack on the turn, and raise UTG's turn bet, they're both going to instantly turn and look at you...the guy they haven't been worried about. They'll realize if you stayed through the earlier heat and are suddenly raising, you've got not just a good hand, but a great one. They'll probably revert to check-call mode, and there's a good chance UTG+1 will fold.

I don't think your implied odds are as good as you think. It would really have to be two completely asleep players to keep reraising if you here.

Good fold.

-Scott